The Children’s School is a free, public elementary school that offers a nurturing educational environment to meet the diverse needs of District 15 and District 75 students at two sites, one in Gowanus and one in Fort Greene.
The Children’s School’s Mission
- To provide and promote an inclusive learning environment for general education students and students with special needs to meet their diverse abilities and to maximize their growth and potential.
- To build a diverse learning community, in which all differences in ability/disability, gender, race/ethnicity, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, religion are celebrated, and in which our common humanity is honored.
- To provide a standards-based and child-centered curriculum that challenges all students to perform at their highest level of capability, and prepares them to function in a rapidly changing, technologically advanced world.
- To provide rigorous professional development for staff so that their knowledge and skills allow them to meet the needs of our students who have a full range of abilities and levels of functioning.
- To provide every student with a literacy-based education with an emphasis on integrating the arts and technology into the learning process across the curriculum.
- To support students to develop a positive self-image and well-rounded interests and abilities, to be socially and physically competent, and to embrace individuality and differences in their peers.
- To develop a strong partnership between home and school to ensure success for all students.
512 CARROLL STREET
The Children’s School, P.S. 372, founded in 1992, continues to be groundbreaking in its educational philosophy and practice. It is the only elementary school in New York City where all children, from pre-K to fifth grade, work side by side throughout the school day with classmates who have a range of abilities and disabilities.
This innovative model is called Integrated Co-teaching (ICT). The Children’s School is a unique collaborative effort between District 15 and the city-wide District 75 that oversees special education programs. Currently, our school serves a diverse group of children at The Children’s School ICT location.
The Children’s School is a district-wide school. It covers all of District 15, which includes Park Slope, Windsor Terrace, Kensington, Sunset Park, Redhook, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill and Boerum Hill.
300 ADELPHI STREET
Our Adelphi Street campus is located in MS 113 in Fort Greene, Brooklyn, and supports students with Autism and other related disorders in a Specialized Classroom (6:1:1) in Kindergarten thru 8th grade. At this site, classrooms keep a ratio of 6:1:1 and include six students, one special education teacher and one classroom paraprofessional and where necessary a crisis management or health paraprofessional for students whose IEP indicate such need. We utilize a structured teaching model and include work centers, 1:1 instruction and whole group instruction when appropriate. Related service providers collaborate with teachers to create a learning environment that supports students’ sensory and communication needs. Currently we partner with the Brooklyn Conservatory for music therapy and Marquis Studios for visual arts instruction.