READY, SET, READ!
Date: The whole month of February 2018
Mission: A fun school community event, which celebrates reading while empowering students to participate in fundraising for PS 372. All of the money raised will go directly to fund our school, 20% of which will go to our school library to purchase new books for the students.
How it works: Look for Read-a-thon packets in backpacks the last week of January.
Ask family, friends, and co-workers to sponsor students either for an amount per minute of reading or as a lump sum donation.
Students participating in Ready, Set, Read! record their minutes (outside of the classroom) every day in their reading logs. Books count! Reading on a Tablet counts! Magazines count! Comics count! Newspapers count! Even homework reading counts! Students who are not reading independently should include the minutes they are read to by an adult.
February 14th will be Tally Day to check minutes read & begin to distribute milestone minute buttons. At the end of February, families return Reading Logs with collected sponsorship money & Pledge Sheets. Then we’ll distribute more certificates, buttons & prizes!
You can also download sheets here:
- Instruction sheet for ICT – PDF (en español)
- Instruction sheet for ASD – PDF (en español)
- The Reading Log (PDF) (Also available as a Word document)
- The Donation Sheet (PDF)
Questions? Want to volunteer to help? Email us at email@example.com
Milestones & Prizes:
- Every participant in our Read-a-thon will receive a certificate of participation.
- Students will be awarded buttons to showcase milestone minutes read.
- Students reaching each milestone minute mark will be entered into a drawing to win gift certificates to local bookstores.
- The class with the most participation in every grade will be awarded bookmarks & pencils & participate in choosing a portion of the books our school library will purchase with funds raised by our Readathon.