On September 21, 2016 the School Leadership Team of The Children’s School (“The SLT”) held its regular meeting in Room 102 at 7:30am.
The following members of the SLT were present:
ANGELA FERRANTE, PARENT, CHAIR, ROSA AMATO, PRINCIPAL, CHERI ANDERSON, PARENT, ROSEMARIE ASTARTIA, PARENT, SHARON BARONE, TEACHER, NINA CREWS, PTA, DAVID HO, PARENT, MICHAEL O’NEILL, TEACHER, UNYQUE RENCHER, PARA, PAULA SZUCHMA, PARENT, TONIANN TEPEDINO, SCHOOL SECRETARY, DAVID TIPSON, PARENT, SHARI ZISMAN, TEACHER
The following individuals participated as guests at the meeting:
Bridgette Nash, Assistant Principal, Special Education
Yvette Agas-Bautz, Parent Coordinator
The following matters were discussed:
Ms. Ferrante opened the meeting and welcomed new members. Each participant introduced herself and her role at The Children’s School.
- Approval of June Minutes:
The SLT approved the minutes from the June 15, 2016 meeting.
- Scheduling of Meetings for the Year
The SLT agreed to hold meetings during the school year on the third Wednesday of each month at 7:30am in the Teachers’ Lounge.
- Chair Election
The SLT elected Ms. Ferrante to serve as chair of the SLT for the school year.
- Secretary Election
The SLT discussed the role of the secretary as contemplated in proposed changes to the SLT’s bylaws. The SLT elected David Tipson to serve as secretary for the school year. Mr. Tipson agreed to take or coordinate the taking of minutes at each meeting in his role as secretary, and the SLT agreed to include this responsibility in the proposed changes to the bylaws.
- Cathy Sarno Retirement and C-30 Process for Filling Assistant Principal Position
Assistant Principal Cathy Sarno retired at the end of the last school year, but will continue to be at the school on Wednesdays to assist the school. Former principal Artie Mattia is also assisting the school with the budget, ordering, payroll, and job postings.
Ms. Amato has begun planning for the search process for a new assistant principal for general education under the Community School District 15 and is aiming to post the position in mid to late October. The SLT discussed the formal “C-30 process” required for the selection of assistant principals in which parents and teachers must participate. SLT members are urged to participate.
The SLT discussed the requirement in the bylaws that every SLT member sit on at least one SLT committee.
- Social Emotional Committee. The Social Emotional Committee needs a chair. Rosemarie Astartia will serve as chair until a new chair is elected.
- Diversity Committee. Michele Greenberg and Shari Zisman will serve as co-chairs. SLT members Cheri Anderson, David Ho, Unyque Rencher, and David Tipson will also serve as members of the Diversity Committee.
- Middle School Committee. Ferrante explained the history of the Middle School committee and its current role in representing The Children’s School at meetings and events relating to middle schools and middle-school enrollment in Community School District 15. The SLT agreed that there is an ongoing need for the Middle School Committee. Sharon Barone agreed to join the committee.
- CEP Subcommittee. The SLT agreed to establish a subcommittee to manage the SLT’s role in crafting and approving the school’s Comprehensive Education Plan (“CEP”). The CEP Subcommittee will meet three times per year.
Ms. Ferrante called the meeting to a close at approximately 8:30am.