- SLT has a few open positions that need to be filled
- UFT representative
- Adelphi Street Parent
- Action items:
- UFT to identify a new representative before the the November meeting and the PTA to identify an Adelphi street parent
- For Secretary, decided to make the Secretary role rotating this year. Ellen took the minutes for the October meeting and Luisa volunteered to take the minutes at the November meeting.
- Remote vs In-Person Meetings
- The group agreed that it would prefer to continue to meet remotely on Google Meets on the first Wednesday evening of the month.
- If the SLT is required to meet in person, the preferences for timing of that meeting were as follows:
- 1) Before School
- 2) After School
- 3) Evening
- Frank provided an update on the CEP
- There are 4 required goals
- ELA – Improving the number of students increasing by 3 letter grades in 1st and 2nd grade as measured by F and P
- Math – Improve third grade math averages
- Supportive Environment Framework – Increase resources provided to parent community through consistent trainings to build school-parent collaboration around student learning.
- Quality Individualized Educational Program – Making LRE recommendations
- Focused on the 1st and 2nd goals
- Will continue with May Math Madness again this year
Social Emotional Committee
- Unsure what they should be doing this year so are interested in any input from the SLT on how to approach their work.
- There was discussion on this year being the first year of returning to somewhat normal following the pandemic, so perhaps focusing on the needs related to that – parents coming into the school etc.
- Health and wellness is something to consider.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee
- Have not yet met in this school year
- Have taken some steps toward pursuing increasing diversity at the school
- Attended Roots and Community last year to advertise the work of the SLT and solicit volunteers
- Relaunched the New Family Buddy program this summer to make all new families to The Children’s School feel welcome
- Encouraged diverse books in the classroom last year
- Parents are coming back into the classroom this year, which is great!
- Thinking of plans to facilitate for parents who have children in multiple classrooms.
- Starting up Lunch Clubs again
- Banana Splits – supporting families going through divorce
- Have a full suite of counselors to support the social-emotional needs of the children
- Classrooms are having office hours on Mondays at 2:30
- Received a grant for 10 new bicycles and 20 new helmets due to efforts by Emily Stutts
- Emily also organizing Bike to School Events
- Received a $20K arts grant.
- Also received $6K grant (matched by the PTA) to work with the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music to provide music therapy at the Adelphi site
- Arts enrichment is funded by PTA and every grade will participate
- Health requirements have been relaxed but visiting parents have to be vaccinated
- Rosa and Frank to attend NYC Cahn Fellows graduation
- Increasing number of non-English speaking families – Japanese, Chinese, and Ukrainian, so there is a greater need for translators/language services.
- The Children’s School is happy to enroll any child that arrives on a bus from out of state.
- One school one book is coming again
- Spirit day was a lot of fun and raised money for the PTA through school gear sales
- Pizza Friday is back and going well
- Outdoor movie night has been a success
- Coming Up – another outdoor movie night, Roots and Community