Dear Children’s School families,
1. Friday June 10 is Fight Back Friday at The Children’s School and at schools all over New York City. See http://fightbackfridays.blogspot.com/ . Please check in with our school’s UFT members outside our Carroll Street and First Street entrances that morning to sign a postcard to your City Council member AND to phone that member to demand that our City’s budget not be balanced on the backs on the New York’s public school students. We’ll be very grateful to any of you who can take over the effort at 8:15 AM when all staff will go inside to teach.
2. Staff will be wearing black on June 10, in honor of Fight Back Friday.
3. Please join us at 3:45 PM in front of school at 512 Carroll Street on Friday. Bring the kids. We’ll walk up to Grand Army Plaza for City Council Member Brad Lander’s rally against school cuts and teacher layoffs. The rally will proceed to the opening night of Celebrate Brooklyn to collect signatures in support of public schools, and will conclude at 6:30.
4. Please join us at dismissal time in front of 512 Carroll Street on Tuesday, June 14. Bring your children. We’ll take the subway to the Brooklyn UFT office (attached to Brooklyn Marriott) to gather at 4PM. At 4:30, we’ll march across the Brooklyn Bridge, and at 5PM we’ll rally at City Hall against teacher layoffs and education cuts.
5. Please email your City Council member right now. Go to http://council.nyc.gov/html/members/members.shtml to get your representative’s email address. Suggested text: “I am a [parent/teacher/citizen]. Budget cuts and teacher layoffs hurt my school and community. Vote FOR New York City youth. Vote NO on Bloomberg’s budget.
The P.S. 372 UFT chapter