The P.T.A. held its regular meeting on February 13th in the cafeteria.
Welcome – Jessica & Merideth – PTA Co-Presidents
Recent Events – Thank yous to hard-working parents and teachers who organized
- Arts & Science Day – Sarah C., Peter & Liza
- Valentine’s Day Dance – Michelle & Scotte
Readathon – Jessica & Merideth
- Tally Day is tomorrow, remember to send in children’s reading logs
- Milestone minute achievers getting new style badges that hang on backpacks
- Keep asking for sponsors to support our kids reading efforts
- Great opportunity for kids to be involved in fundraising for our school
Wellness Committee – Paula Szuchman
- Held first ever fair in Spring 2018
- Focused on healthy food, healthy bodies, healthy minds
- Meditation training – 3rd, 4th and 5th Grades
- Scheduled around standardized testing time
- Survey today – please let us know what you are most interested in focusing on
Principal’s Update – Rosa A.
- Has anyone here heard of a problem from their kids about the cafeteria running short of hot food?
- We’re following up on a complaint and trying to track down the problem
- Cafeteria doesn’t see the problem, so we’re reaching out to families
- We’re on the list for complete lead testing once again.
- They run tests around 2-3am after water is sitting for 6-8 hours
- Tony flushes our pipes post-holidays and Monday mornings
- Some parents have expressed concern about too much sugar at class parties, so we’re letting parents and teachers know that they can opt out
- 5th Grade studios are restarting for Spring and 4th Grade’s are starting now.
- Student Ratios in our classrooms – still working to resolve the problem
- Dist. 15 Superintendent is aware of the problem
- We might get assigned a Dist. 15 enrollment officer
Parent Coordinator’s Update – Yvette
- Younger siblings who need PreK spots need to apply now, talk to Yvette for more information if you have questions
- After-school late-pickup recently clogged with students who think their plans have changed from their standard After-school or Enrichment programs.
- Please send notes with your children when dismissal plans change
- Without notes, we will continue to send them to their standard after school programs
- We can fetch the kids from After-school if you need to pick them up earlier than usual
Auction/Gala – Sarah G.
- April 5th at Littlefield – theme is “Life’s a Beach!”
- We need donations to be auctioned off and sponsors – talk to businesses that you regularly deal with
- Donations that sell well are tickets, vacation homes, gift certificates, experiences, Disney discounts, etc.
One School, One Book – Scotte
- Great program that needs more parents to get involved – meeting 3:15 today
- December – Benji the Bad Day & Me
- January – Every Month is a New Year
- February – I, Too, am America
- March – two books – In Her Hands & Dream Drum Girl
- Recently received a $25,000 grant for books and training (go Ms. Ina!)
Treasurer Report – Desiree
- Annual Appeal has raised $32,000 so far with 29 percent participation of students
- Pizza Friday – second session money still arriving, hard to estimate if we’re reaching our fundraising target
- Readathon – sponsorships are important – reach out to friends, family, etc.
- Auction/Gala – coming in April – please buy tickets and bid on auction items to support our school
2/14 Mid-month Tally Day for Readathon
2/15 Author visit by Nick Bruel – 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Graders
3/1 Families as Partners – in classrooms after drop-off
3/8 Final Tally Day for Readathon
3/13 March P.T.A. Meeting – in Cafeteria @ 8:30am