The February meeting was held Feb. 17 via Zoom.
February PS 372 General PTA Meeting
February 17, 2022
Held remotely via Zoom
- Welcome & Congratulations on 100 Days of School
- School Updates – Ms. Rosa
- Parent Updates
- PTA News
- Virtual Book Fair ending soon – buy now!
- Readathon – ends Feb. 28th
- Pilot Project for Parents who Drive
- Treasurer’s Update
- Thanks – we couldn’t do it without you!
School Updates – Ms. Rosa
- Celebration of 100th day of school!
- Breakfast spread at Adelphi street sponsored by the PTA
- Lots of construction going on including a big building on 4th ave which is going to make traffic/parking worse
- Parking on Con Ed sidewalk is not advised. I
- It is a safety hazard for kids and a nuisance for Con Ed
- Working on plan to ease dismissal
- Graduation will be in person!
- Committee in place to coordinate Graduation activities
- More to come on those types of celebrations
- Will be a musical again!
- Aladdin put on by 5th Grade
- Any extra curricular activities require vaccination
- We don’t want to exclude anyone. If one child can’t come then we want to avoid it.
- Please be mindful about “Lateness”
- Kids coming in late can be disruptive to the classroom
- If you need support let the school know.
- Teachers are helping with curriculum
- 3rd Grade Math program (Reflex)
- Was used by a 3rd grade teacher as a trial and it was well received by students and teachers
- Doing a free 90 day trial
- Would be a supplement to current to program
- It supports math “fluency”. Reinforces skills and participation
- Will start after February break
- 2nd Grade Reading
- 3rd Grade Math program (Reflex)
Parent Updates – Ms. Yvette
- Middle School application deadline is March 1, 2022. If you have not submitted your application, please do so.
- 3K and PreK Applications are open.
- Any current families that have a child entering PreK next September must submit an application through their MySchools account.
- 3K application deadline is April 14, 2022
- TCS does not have 3K
- Pre-K application deadline is March 18, 2022
- Sibling priority is automatic unless sibling is 5th grader
- Only 36 seats and 12 are special ed in pre -k
- Only 51 Gen Ed seats and 24 IEP seats
- Contact Ms. Rosa if you have a 5th grader who has a rising sibling
- Mid-Winter Break next week Feb. 21 – Feb. 25
- If you have questions, you can email
- Yvette at firstname.lastname@example.org
- NYC Vaccination/Booster Referral Program – $100/referral for PTA
- Program extended to Feb. 28th, max# is 200 so keep sharing the details
- LabQ testing van – outside school on March 1st to help families get tested after Mid-Winter Break. You need to pre-register or sign-up at the site to receive your results. We will send out the pre-registration link.
- Both Rapid and PCR tests will be available
- As at any NYC testing site, the tests are free, no insurance needed.
- For everyone. Children, parents, neighborhood.
- Playground Renovation project in planning process, hope to have something to share soon! Things are still happening.
- Looking forward to Spring events like Garden Cleanup and Movie Night
- Targeting Movie night for April
- Next PTA meeting – March 24th at 6:45pm
Virtual Book Fair
Continues until the end of February!
Order in-person or online at communitybookstore.net
Easy to search for books or browse their recommendations
2 choices for delivery: pickup at stores or ship to home
Check out a recommended list of books by age at https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-lists
You can share the code with family and friends
The fair includes all books, not just kids books
The PTA will receive 20% of Book Fair purchases.
Read-a-thon is Online
1. The Readathon Reading Log
- Parents and NOT students will be creating/signing up for accounts on inclusions.
- Each student will have their own Dashboard where they can view badges, sponsors reading log.
- Reading can be independent or if the child is being read to by adult
- During the whole month of February, record what books kids read and number of minutes.
- Two classes already have 100% participation and will get a pizza party
- New 2,500 minute badge!
2. The Pledge Sheet
- All donations are tracked online on your Read-a-thon Dashboard.
- Here families can record the names of their sponsors and how much each sponsor will contribute, either with a lump sum or an amount determined per minutes read.
- There is an option to enter email addresses for potential sponsors, which will automatically generate emails with a pre-written script explaining our Read-a-thon, while requesting a donation for that specific student.
Pilot Dismissal for Drivers
- Working with school to create alternate dismissal plan that works better for parents who drive.
- Parents would stay in cars & pick up all kids at one location
- No more running around school to multiple doors while hoping your car isn’t getting ticketed
- Enrollment will be required to authorize alternate pickup plan
- Test of pilot program (10 families?) in early March, with expansion planned by end of March.
- Form sent out via Konstella to indicate level of interest in program and number of kids/families affected.
- Watch for details and sign-up form via Konstella.
- Fundraisers for PTA
- Annual Appeal has raised approx. $22K of $35K target
- Readathon sponsors currently signing up; won’t know total raised until March meeting
- Increased corporate matching and grants are helping to make up shortfall from missing fundraisers, like Pizza Friday
- Expenses steadily arriving
- Mini-grants for classrooms and specialists
- Arts Partnerships – Alvin Ailey, Chen Center, Thunderbird
- Please continue to support our PTA!
- Thank you to families who used us a their referral organization for getting vaccines or booster shots at NYC sites – the $100/referral is a great bonus for the PTA
- Thanks to Julie Lipton for organizing the LabQ testing van for after break
- Thank you to Brad Eichmann, Sarah Graham, and Melanie Goldberg for their help organizing Readathon and providing support for families to participate.
- Volunteers are needed on the committee for the Auction email@example.com. Particularly looking for lower grades families to get involved, but all welcome.
- Solicitation of items already underway!
- Thank YOU being part of our great community and supporting our school
- The next PTA Meeting is scheduled for March 24th, 2022 @ 6:45pm
00:30:32 251028: How are the 3k/PreK slots divided up?
00:36:12 Shelli Rottman: We were told at the store that the code Is online only
00:41:11 MT: What is the name of the Math program?
00:41:19 Frank Ammirata: Reflex MAth
00:43:13 MT: When will Reflex Math be available for all students? Asking for a 5th grader that might benefit.
00:43:40 251028: Update: 3 classes have hit 100% for the readathon.
00:43:45 Rosa Amato: The pilot is 3rd grade.
00:44:28 Frank Ammirata: We need to see data before considering a larger scale implementation.
00:44:55 Adrienne Chait (she/her): Have a wonderful break everyone!
00:45:09 MT: Thank you
00:45:10 Raneshia: Is there no school tomorrow?
00:45:25 Bridget Nash: We have school tomorrow
00:45:26 Rosa Amato: Yes. School is open tomorrow
00:45:31 Raneshia: ok thanks
00:45:40 Raneshia: good night
Meeting Minutes Submitted by Julie Lipton
PTA Recording Secretary