March 2020 PTA General Meeting Minutes
Updates from Ms. Rosa
- Per Chancellor’s announcement, parent-teacher conferences are canceled tomorrow Thursday 3/12. The half day of school will remain in effect with a 12:00 noon dismissal. Teachers have the option to use their own phones to have phone conferences or Facetime conferences with parents, but are not required to.
- Rosa will be in contact regularly with parents to update them as she receives updates from the DOE.
- Text COVID to 692-692 if you want regular real time updates from the city regarding coronavirus.
- Current protocol is that if a student is infected that school will close for 24 hours for cleaning, and then re-open.
- Janitors are cleaning regularly and the DOE has promised to provide schools with more cleaning supplies.
- It is important not to panic, and to read all information provided.
Update from Ms. Yvette
- School Surveys
- Please fill out school surveys (online or in paper) which will be coming home in backpacks.
- Please fill out one survey per child.
- Next family as partners is April 3 (reading).
- March 16 is the deadline to apply for PreK, please spread the word that our school still has PreK spots open (approx 10).
Benefit & Party 3/27/20
- Contingency plan for auction if event needs to be canceled due to coronavirus:
- Online auction will continue to run from March 20-27
- If event is canceled, we will hopefully reschedule the event for another date
- Updates will be sent as soon as we have them
Wellness Fair 5/16/20
- This event will focus on mental wellness and physical wellness. Please come to our committee meeting at 8:30 tomorrow in the library, 3/12/20.
Afterschool & Enrichment
- Afterschool and Enrichment are attempting to stay on school schedule to help working parents. There are no plans to cancel afterschool or enrichment at this time, and we will let everyone know if anything changes.
PS 372 Playground Project on the Participatory Budget Ballot
- New York City Council dedicates part of the budget to projects selected by local voters = Participatory Budgeting (PB).
- Our project to renovate the small yard and replace the play structure with ADA compliant equipment — valued at $600,000 — was selected for Brad Lander’s PB ballot.
- Need to get out the vote in our community (all residents over age 11 eligible).
- Join committee to promote our project and PB voting! Signups for committee on Konstella.
- If you aren’t sure what district you vote in, the paper ballot is the easiest way to participate. Pick up paper ballots at school to vote March 28 – April 5.
- We plan to resurface the smaller playground, increase safety, get ADA approved equipment, smaller stations instead of one big structure, use more of the yard than they are using now, and have the ability to work on specific skills (i.e. steps, balance beam, climbing ropes, climbing wall, etc.)
- To vote, go to pbnyc.org/vote. The website will be activated on 3/28/20 and will take you directly to the voting site. Vote for our school and tell others to vote for our schools! There is $1.5 million to be given away to organizations!
- Need help getting out the vote – distribute posters in neighborhoods, events, at stores, social media, etc. Need volunteers to set up tables in the community with ballots.
- Voters must live, work, or have children who go to school in Brad Lander’s district #39, and you may vote for as many contenders on the ballot as you wish.
Upcoming Parent Workshop
- “Raising an Organized Child: Strengthening Executive Functioning & Self Regulation”
by Anna Levy-Warren, Ph.D. – Organizational Tutors
Description from the presenter:
This presentation will focus on practical skills and strategies for parents to help build their children’s executive functions. A close look at the challenging transition points in the day, initiating less desirable activities, and stopping exciting ones, will all be discussed.
- Tuesday, March 31 @ 6pm in the ICT Cafeteria
- Childcare & Pizza available for PS372 Students ONLY (max 20)
- Must register to reserve childcare slot
- Watch for signup on Konstella
- Abby Hanlon – Dory Fantasmagory series
- March 20th for 2nd & 3rd Grades
- Max Brallier – The Last Kids on Earth series
- April 6th for 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Grades
- Book order forms available at PTA desk prior to the scheduled visit. Signed books can be purchased.
- About 75% of students turned in minutes
- 307,437 total minutes read by students and families during February
- Two classes had 100% participation!
- 2-1 and 5-1
- Classes with highest participation/grade get to vote on new books for the ICT Library
- So far, there has been $16,211 raised by students
- Milestone Raffles will be happening soon to enter students in those categories for prizes
Funding Vote – Spring Studios for 4th Grade
- Proposal to extend Studios for 4th Grade for Spring semester
- 10 Studios will be available taught by Children’s School teachers
- Coding and Storytelling, Lego Exploration, Building with Planks, Nature Club, Collaborative Theatre Performance, Problem-solving through Board Games, Carpentry, Decoupage, Dance Team, Monologues
- Total cost will be $500
- Funds are available to cover this expense if it is approved.
- PTA voted at this meeting and the funding was approved.
Three major fundraisers each year –
- Pizza Friday is one of the biggest fundraisers for the school. First term $36,000 and we are at $15,000 so far for second term. Target for the year is $62,000
- Annual Appeal – Major Fundraiser ~ $15,000 so far – please participate, every dollar helps!
- Auction & Party – March 27th – adults only party – join the fun & support the school
- Small fundraisers continue throughout the year –
- Shopping online through our programs, like Amazon Smile
- Readathon, Gear sales, PTA Fun Run, etc.
The PTA has decided to not charge admission to many events (Movie Nights, Roots & Community, Arts & Science Day, and more) to broaden community involvement.
- Merideth and Jessica for running the Readathon for the 4th year!
- Many volunteers & 4th Grade Parents – Stations & Food Sales at Arts & Science Day
- Jessie Childs for getting our playground onto Participatory Budget
- Madeline Solomon for the idea for our Parent Workshop
- Yvette for her continued support of the PTA and events between both sites
Volunteer Opportunities & Upcoming Events
We need you! Please let us know if you would like to help at any of these events. We rely on volunteers to make all of our events take place:
- Pizza Fridays – every Friday – sign up on Konstella
- Sign up to help hand out pizza, both early & late shifts available.
- Parent/Teacher Conferences – March 12th
- Bring food for Teachers/Staff to enjoy between afternoon & evening meetings
- Auction & Party – March 27th – Friday evening at Littlefields
- Buy tickets and register for Bidding for Good
Number of attendees: 18
Submitted by: Mimi Stauber-Levy, 3/11/20