PTA November Meeting Minutes
1. Roots & Community Update
- Please come to this wonderful school-wide event on Sat. 11/23 at 5:30–8:00 pm in the gym! Roots & Community features:
- Tables that represent different cultures. Each table will have food and arts and crafts activities. We have 18 tables signed up already!
- Kids will get “passports” to go around to each table and will get a prize at the end.
- Best food you’ll ever eat!
- Live music!
- Ways you can help:
- Host a table
- Help out at a table
- Bring something for the potluck
- Sign up on Konstella!
2. Update from Ms. Yvette
- Parent/Teacher conferences are tomorrow, Thursday 11/14/19. 1-3pm, 4:30-7pm.
- Speech and Counseling will here for both sessions; PT/OT only here for afternoons.
- Half-day, with dismissal at 11:55 am.
- All classes will eat lunch in the classroom.
- No child care, after school or enrichment tomorrow.
- No kids allowed in the gym or play yard.
- Middle School News
- Thank you to middle school parents who came for our parent panel. If you want to speak further with any of those parents Yvette can connect you with them.
- Yvette will be here all day tomorrow during parent/teacher conferences to help any families who have questions related to the MS application.
- UNICEF boxes are due Monday 11/18
- Families at Specialist Partners – Friday 12/6. (gym, science, art, theater, etc.)
- Speech Workshop Friday 12/6; “Picture This,” a workshop for PreK-2nd grade parents in cafeteria. Will explore visual support.
- Open House for New Families will be held 12/5 and 12/12 6-7:30 pm. We are trying something different this year by involving kids more and getting arts clubs to showcase some of what they are doing. We’d love parent volunteers to come in and talk to prospective parents.
- The Children’s School Giving Day – we are supporting a local homeless women’s shelter and their families this year. Giving Dates are 11/18- 12/6. More details will be coming regarding a list of what is needed.
3. Book Fair
- 11/13 and 11/14 on stage in the gym.
- All students will visit with their classes and the book fair will also be open during Parent/Teacher conferences.
- Book Fair at 6:1:1 site will be held on 11/18.
- Wide selection of books provided by Community Bookstore.
- Kids can create wish lists for parents, and parents can buy books for teachers via their wish lists.
4. Flu Shots
- Now available at The Children’s School!
- Parents, teachers and staff are welcome to come get a flu shot on 11/15 at 10:45 a.m. – 1:15 p.m. on the stage. Bring your insurance card or pay $40. Rite Aid will be providing.
5. Fall Garden Cleanup 11/16
- Help prepare the garden for winter 9 am – 1 pm.
- Remove dying annuals
- Plant winter cover crops
- Plant daffodil bulbs in our new tree pits
- Enjoy coffee, cider, donuts, and bagels
- All tools provided
- No signup needed. Just show up!
6. Nets Game
- 12/8 at 3:00 p.m.
- So far we have sold over 60 tix and raised $1,000+ for school. Kids can go at halftime onto the court and high-five players. 372 will sit together.
- All info is at netsgroups.com/ps372
- Check inclusions.org for more details
7. Auction & Gala News
- Save the Date! March 27th at Littlefields. This is an adult-only event.
- Music, food, drinks, DJ, auction items
Ways you can help:
- Planning party
- Soliciting donations and sponsorships
- Picking up donations in your neighborhood
- Konstella blast to come soon.
8. Treasurer Report
- Pizza Friday has so far raised $39,000. Goal is to get to $62,000
- Annual Appeal – letters will be coming soon soliciting donations
- The author visit raised $100 for the PTA
- Movie Night raised $1,000
- Amazon Smile: please select our school as your charity. Go to smile.amazon.com when you shop, and Amazon will give a percentage of whatever you spend to The Children’s School!
- Pizza Friday, Annual Appeal and Auction/Gala are our three biggest fundraisers, please support our school!
9. Thanks to:
- Jaclyn La Rosa and Stephanie DeVito for Pizza Friday co-chairing
- Emily Mann and Stomping Ground for Picture Day
- Jessica Miksis and the book fair committee
- Volunteers at parent-teacher conferences
- Amy Vegelatos, parent and speech therapist at both sites for setting up the parent-teacher conference dinner at the 6:1:1 site
- Yvette for her committed support of the PTA and events between both sites
- Parent volunteers -without you none of these events would be possible!
10. One School One Book
- Giving Thanks is the title chosen for PreK-1st grades and our 6:1:1 site
- The People Shall Continue is the title chosen for 2nd – 5th grades
- The OSOB Program has been focusing on finding books that were written by someone that the book is about, i.e. someone from that culture.
- More detailed info may be found on Konstella.
- More info on books may be found below at these links:
11. Assistant Principal Update – Mr. Frank
- Konstella Bus Groups have been established online.
- We want to network and share info among families and schools about bus routes in real time (route info, traffic, delays, no-shows, etc.)
- Please join the Konstella community for your bus route!
12. Volunteer Opportunities
We need you! Please let us know if you would like to help at any of these events. We rely on volunteers to make all of our events take place:
- Pizza Fridays – every Friday – sign up on Konstella
- Sign up to help hand out pizza, both early & late shifts available.
- Pot Luck for Teachers– Thursday, Nov. 14th 3pm – need salads and desserts
- Garden Cleanup – November 16th – 9am-1pm
- Help prepare the school garden for wintertime
- Roots & Community – November 23rd – Saturday in Gym 5:30 – 8pm
- School-wide celebration of heritage & community.
- Help with family favorite PotLuck dishes
- Check Konstella for signup opportunities and cultures to support!
11/13 General PTA Meeting – 8:30am in Cafeteria (Wednesday meeting)
11/13,14 Book Fair (ICT site) & 11/18 Book Fair (6:1:1 site)
11/15 Flu Shots for Parents, Teachers, and Staff – 10:45am – 1:15pm
11/16 Garden Cleanup Day – 9am – 1pm
11/23 Roots & Community – Saturday event in Gym – 5:30pm – 8pm
12/8 Nets Game – Barclays Center 3pm
12/18 Winter Festival
NO DECEMBER PTA MEETING – See You in the New Year!
Total Attendance: 21
Submitted by: Mimi Stauber-Levy