SAVE THE DATE: Sunday, June 3 at the South Street Seaport
We are a bit behind this year but it is not to late to join The Children’s School Team: PS 372
and Walk Now for Autism Speaks. This will be our 6th year, lead by new team captain,
If you cannot walk, please DONATE to the Team:
PS 372 Team page:
If you would rather donate cash or check (payable to Autism Speaks w/ PS 372 in Memo) send to Assistant Principal Rosa Amato.
Did you know …
- Autism now affects 1 in 88 children and 1 in 54 boys
- Autism prevalence figures are growing
- More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes & cancer combined
- Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
- Autism costs the nation $126 billion per year
- Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases
- Boys are four times more likely than girls to have autism
- There is no medical detection or cure for autism
Prevalence vs. Private Funding
- Leukemia: Affects 1 in 1,200 / Funding: $277 million
- Muscular Dystrophy: Affects 1 in 100,000 / Funding: $162 million
- Pediatric AIDS: Affects 1 in 300 / Funding: $394 million
- Juvenile Diabetes: Affects 1 in 500 / Funding: $156 million
- Autism: Affects 1 in 88 / Funding: $79 million
National Institutes of Health Funds Allocation
- Total 2011 NIH budget: $30.5 billion
- Of this, only $169 million goes directly to autism research. This represents 0.6% of total NIH funding.