Dear Children’s School Families:
Now that the school year has come to a close, I would like to once again thank you for all your support throughout the year. Overall, I believe it was very successful and I would like to take this opportunity and update you on a few items before you break for the summer vacation.
- The new 20 year lease with the Archdiocese has now been signed. The process was a tedious one and I believe the benefits of having a new contract outweighs any drawbacks and just further solidifies the commitment the DOE has to our program.
- As a result of the new leasing agreement the school yards will now be renovated. This process will take place throughout the summer and everything should be completed before the start of the new school year.
- The children in grades 3-5 once again performed well on the New York State assessments. While I have not as of yet received the official scores, over 90% of the student population met promotional criteria. Congratulations to all the children and staff for all their hard work and efforts. It surely paid off!
- The expansion process continues to run into spacing roadblocks but we are just as determined as before to see this through. The parent body has now been mobilized and are now collecting signatures and on a letter writing campaign to our local politicians. I have gone to another level within the Department of Education to make them aware of the situation and stress the importance of having our expansion become a reality. We’ve waited long enough and have watched other schools open while we have been held back. Our patience has run thin and we are no longer willing to just sit back and wait. I’ll keep you informed as things develop.
- The Common Core Learning Standards will continue to be the driving force behind instructional practices throughout the city. Staff has been actively working to align curriculum to the standards and I remain confident your children will continue to receive the quality education they’ve received in the past. I will work with the School Leadership Team and the PTA on the best way to inform you of these expectations and continue to foster strong home/school collaboration.
In closing, I am honored to be the Principal of The Children’s School and look forward another great year in September where children flourish and grow academically, socially and emotionally in a community that understands the importance of acceptance and tolerance for all.
Have a wonderful summer!